Sunday 1 September 2019

GOODBYE TO KEW

After 26 years living in Kew, I'm off to leafy North Warrandyte.  I've done well over 1,000 daily walks from my Kew home (I only started in recent years) and my bird total for these walks is 54 species.  My house birdlist had another six species:  Kookaburra, Rufous and Golden Whistler, Rufous Fantail and (most exciting!) Tawny Frogmouth - all seen just once, and Song Thrush, which used to be a common resident over twenty years ago, but which hasn't been seen here this century.
Tawny Frogmouths - a lousy photo, but proof that they came.

One sad loss is the Willie Wagtail, which I used to be able to rely on on my north walk, but which hasn't put in an appearance for some years.  Another bird I used to see, but haven't seen since the invasion of Noisy Miners is the White-plumed Honeyeater.  They were common here in the 1990's.  Another 'new' bird to the district is the Crested Pigeon - not here when we moved in.  Silvereyes are now rare; they used to be common.

Just last week I added a new bird to my walk list:  a pair of Maned Ducks flew into a tree above my head on my south walk.  I had seen them years ago at the neighbours' pool, but never had they graced one of my walks.

Gang Gangs are always a favourite.  I see them on north walks, most often in April, but also in June and August.
Gang Gang photo by Ken Haines

Perhaps the most exciting bird on my walks was the Wedge-tailed Eagle - always a joy to see.  Although the Little Button-quail deserves a mention.  I'm sure the Budgerigar on a west walk was an escaped pet.  The Australian King Parrots were exciting and I hoped they'd stay around, but they did not.

So, it's goodbye to Kew.  I will miss the daily walks.  The terrain and footpaths around North Warrandyte are not quite so friendly.  However, I'm sure my birdlist will be longer.  I know there are Powerful Owls and Scarlet Honeyeaters on my property.  It will be interesting to see how long it takes me to get a total over 60 species.  I am confident it will not take 26 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment