Monday 5 August 2019

BIRDING AUSTRALIA'S ISLANDS

My latest book, 'Birding Australia's Islands,' has just hit the bookshops.


This tells the story of my birding adventures on 22 of Australia's islands, from Macquarie in the south, to Boigu and Saibai in the north, Lord Howe and Norfolk in the east, and Cocos (Keeling) in the west.  The island I've visited most (apart from Phillip Island in my home state, Victoria) is Christmas Island, where the birds are magnificent.

Three islands in this book I haven't actually stepped foot on.  They are Raine Island in far north Queensland, Cabbage Tree Island in New South Wales and Browse Island in northern Western Australia.  The first two are nature reserves where the public is not permitted to land.  The seas were too rough for me to disembark on the third.

This book is beautifully illustrated with superb photos by some of Australia's best photographers.  Here are a couple of examples:

White-breasted Waterhen by Steve Reynolds

White-breasted Waterhens are now common on Cocos.  They weren't there on my first visit.

Nankeen Kestrel by Brook Whylie

I've seen kestrels on many islands; they have a very widespread distribution.  The bird I saw most on my island adventures is the Sacred Kingfisher.

I really enjoyed writing about Australia's islands.  I could relive all the wonderful trips I've enjoyed over the years.
Link to my Guardian Article

No comments:

Post a Comment