Saturday 21 September 2019

A WEEK IN GREENSBOROUGH

I've just spent a week in Greensborough. I didn't go birding, yet on my walks I saw 21
 species of birds and heard another three.

Greensborough is a very pleasant leafy suburb with lots of flowering eucalyptus. There are even more Noisy Miners and Rainbow Lorikeets than in Kew. Surprisingly there are significantly fewer Red Wattlebirds, and no Little Wattlebirds.

There are fewer exotics:  no sparrows, no starlings, no blackbirds and very few Common Mynas.  Rock Doves and Spotted Doves are in about the same numbers as Kew.


Little Ravens and magpie are as common as in Kew, Grey Butcherbirds are less common, Galahs are more common. I saw two species I've never seen on my walks in Kew:  Dusky Moorhen and Common Bronzewing. White-faced Herons and Australian King Parrots are far more common in Greensborough. I heard many Eastern Rosellas, but perhaps surprisingly, I didn't see one. I saw just a couple of Musk Lorikeets.

Now it will be interesting to see what birds I can see in Eltham.

No comments:

Post a Comment