Wednesday 27 February 2013

SO THAT WAS FEBRUARY 2013

I love this cooler weather!  It's been a bit hot the last few days for me to venture out birding.  I've done my best to sit diligently at my desk, but sometimes it's been too hot for that too.

Brolga
February has seen me birding at the Organ Pipes National Park, Lillydale Lake, Dandenong Ranges National Park (both Ferntree Gully and Sherbrooke), Blackburn Lake, and, best of all, Melbourne Water's Western Treatment Plant aka Werribee Sewage Farm.  Despite this (I think) impressive list, I have only managed to see 108 species of birds this month, making a total of 142 for the year.

Highlights for February were four Brolgas flying overhead, calling and landing quite close and an usually large number of Red-necked Avocets (what elegant birds!) both at Werribee, a Bassian Thrush at Sherbrooke and Rufous Fantails at both Ferntree Gully and Sherbrooke.

March promises good birding.  I'm going to wimp out of Boneseeding at the You Yangs (sorry, Merrilyn!)  The traffic on the Geelong Road going to the Avalon Air Show has put me off.  But I am going to Chiltern (site number 5 on my 100 top Australian birding sites) and I'm planning to do my first pelagic for the year out of Port Fairy.  I can hardly wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment