Tuesday 19 March 2024

THE GOLD COAST AND BRISBANE

Last year, I attempted to see a New Caledonian Storm Petrel out of Southport, and instead saw my bogey bird, the White-necked Petrel. So of course I had to return in 2024 to try again for the New Caledonian Storm Petrel. Paul Wallbridge reckoned I should give March a go this year, so March it was. Pelagics out of Southport were scheduled for Saturday and Sunday 16 and 17 March, but seas were too rough and the Saturday pelagic was cancelled. Luckily, I'd been booked on the Sunday. I always think of Southport waters as benign. I don't know how often these pelagics are cancelled because the seas are too rough, but let's just say it doesn't happen as often as it does down south. I was relieved my pelagic was still scheduled to go, but I remained anxious that something would go wrong until we were actually on the boat, and the captain was giving us our safety briefing, warning that it was going to be rough. As it turned out, it wasn't very rough. It did rain more than I would have preferred, but it wasn't too bumpy. There were 14 people on board and only one was seasick. I've been on worse pelagics, but it was, for me at least, a disappointing day. I recorded 24 species, but that's only because I started writing down my sightings as soon as I boarded the boat, so my day's tally includes Welcome Swallow, Pelican and Far Eastern Curlew. The only storm petrels we saw all day were Wilson's. This is an old photo of a Wilson's Storm Petrel was taken by Ken Haines, who wasn't on Sunday's pelagic.
On Sunday, we saw Hutton's Shearwater, but not Fluttering. I'm told that's usual for Southport. We saw several Tahiti Petrels, at least one Gould's, and quite a few Kermadecs in various plumages. The best bird of the day as far as I was concerned was a dark phase Long-tailed Jaeger, which Paul Wallbridge said he'd never seen before. One very interesting thing (which I'd never heard of before) was decoy storm petrels, made by Jacob Crisp out of old thongs! Paul and Jacob both assured me that these decoys worked, that is to say they attracted storm petrels. I certainly saw birds flying by for a closer look, but as the decoys were in amongst the burley, it was difficult to determine if the inquisitive seabirds were investigating the decoys or the food. Jacob kindly provided this photo of his decoys.
I was staying on the thirtieth floor of the Meriton Suites and when I returned, I was delighted to be greeted by a Pied Butcherbird sitting on my balcony. That was fun.
On Monday, I spent a wonderful day birding with Rae Clark. She took me to Federation Walk in Southport (Bush Stone-curlews, Scaly-breasted Lorikeets, Brahminy Kite, Osprey and a lovely Leaden Flycatcher), then to Sandy Camp Road Wetland (Comb-crested Jacana, White-throated Honeyeater, Rainbow Bee-eater, Variegated Fairywren), then to Wynnum Mangrove Boardwalk (Mangrove Gerygone, Torresian Kingfisher, Tawny Grassbird, Grey-tailed Tattler). What a great day! I love it when I can't decide what is the best bird of the day. In the end I chose the Mangrove Gerygone, because he was beautiful and cooperative and I don't see them often, but Rae pointed out that the White-throated Honeyeater was all of these things too. She is quite right. And I did love the tiny black fluffy chicks of the Buff-banded Rail. So, while the pelagic let me down, I had a great trip. I will try again next year for the New Caledonian Storm Petrel. I hope it doesn't take me as long to see this special storm petrel as it took me to see the White-necked Petrel, because I may not live that long! POSTSCRIPT: On 24 March 2024, Jon Spicer-Bell reported seeing 4 New Caledonian Storm Petrels at Britannia Guyots, Southport Seamount. This is in NSW and must be very close to where I went looking for the storm petrels last February.

No comments:

Post a Comment