Sunday 8 January 2023

MY FIFTH TRIP TO COCOS

After a successful week on Christmas Island with Richard Baxter, when everyone achieved at least one lifer and the newbies had about a dozen, we arrived on Cocos with great expectations. This was my fifth trip to Cocos and I'd never seen a Watercock, although I had looked every time. There were recent reports of several birds on the island, but we knew they were very sensitive and flighty. A new birdhide had been built at the lake and we spent some hours there, hoping for Chinese Sparrowhawk and Northern Pintail. This photo shows the lake when it is not raining.
As the group sat on pintail-watch at the hide, once a day, Richard took two of us to look for Watercock, in the long grass in the farm behind the lake. After the birds had been flushed, Richard gave them some peace for the rest of the day. I was lucky to be one of the first two taken to look for Watercocks on the first day. It did not take long! A bird flushed in front of us, showing unmistakable long trailing legs. It is most gratifying to finally tick a bird you have sought for many years. We saw Watercocks several times during the week. There must be quite a few birds on the island this year. Sadly, I do not have a photo of one. We had high hopes too of seeing a Cinnamon Bittern, as the locals reported seeing one every day. It was either in the green waste dump, or walking along the grassy verge beside the road. Easy! This sighting would have put me in the Bittern Club, meaning I'd seen all six species of Australian bitterns (Australasian, Black-backed, Yellow, Von Schrenck's, Cinnamon and Black). Sadly, we soon learnt that the bird had been killed by a cat. Here' the evidence.
We saw Common Sandpipers most days. I thank Bill Russell for this lovely photo.
This Asian Brown Flycatcher led us a merry dance. They like to hide high in the canopy sitting perfectly still for hours, then perversely, come out into the open and show themselves well. Photo again by Bill Russell.
Of course we did the requisite motorised canoe trip to look for Saunders's Terns. I'm not sure why I dislike these canoes so much; suffice it to say that I do. Nevertheless I girded my loins and gritted my teeth and was rewarded with the best possible sightings of Saunders's Terns. Not only must birders undergo the canoe trip (although in fairness I should say that I think I was the only person present who did not enjoy the canoe trip) but then there is another wet walk through water in the hot sun before birders arrive at the Saunders's Tern viewing area. I've seen these birds a couple of times before, but never like this. The birds actually came to investigate us, flying low over our heads. It was wonderful! Then, of course, we celebrated with champagne. It took great skill to actually notice birds that came to investigate us, so we figured that we'd earned our champagne. Another Bill Russell photo shows us setting off on our journey. I'm in front in the red canoe.
On New Year's Eve, we attended a fancy dress party at Scout Park. The theme was 'the jungle' and some people went to a fair amount of trouble. With space and weight restrictions in my luggage, I wimped out and wore a teeshirt showing rainforest frogs. The fireworks were nothing short of spectacular, and, most unusual for me, I managed to stay awake to see the New Year in. My reward was the chance at another tick on 2 January. A Common Kingfisher had been seen on the island. I had looked unsuccessfully for this bird before. But this time, we thought we knew where it was. It involved (inevitably) a wade through water. I do not enjoy walking through water. I find it uncomfortable and disconcerting when you don't know where you are putting your foot down. On the way back, Richard found a pineapple puffer fish and I was pleased that I hadn't trodden on it! Or known it was there on the walk out. Lucky for me, Ted offered me his arm, and this assistance made a difficult walk quite bearable. That's me, second from the right, hanging on for dear life! (Photo again by Bill Russell.)
A great start for the New Year: a lifer! I took this photo from the RSPB's 'Birds of Britain and Europe'. For me, the most outstanding feature was the bright blue back, which really stood out.
So I came home with three ticks in all: one on Christmas and two on Cocos. That's not bad, I'm sure you'll agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment