Saturday 28 May 2022

BURKE ROAD BILLABONG

What a wonderful day! I had intended watching 'Insiders' (compulsory viewing for me, with or without an election), then spend the rest of the morning reading. But the sun came out and insisted that I go for a walk. I should have known it would be a beautiful day, when I saw the spectacular sunrise on my morning walk. All those pink fluffy clouds made me feel good to be alive. So, as soon as 'Insiders' was over, I grabbed my binoculars and set off. Although it is the 29th of May, I had not visited Burke Road Billabong this month, so that was my destination. To get there, I go via Hay's Paddock, then along the Koornung Trail to the billabong reserve. Unfortunately, I had a disagreement with a particularly ugly, but far too friendly dog in Hay's Paddock. I changed direction three times, I swore at it, but it was determined to accompany me. So I strode off out of Hay's Paddock into unknown suburbia. Only then did its unhelpful owner think the dog should be accompanying her rather than me, and half-heartedly voiced her disapproval. Meanwhile, I strode off unhappily up a hill, not usually part of my itinerary. Go home! a voice in my head, urged me. You're out to have fun, and if it isn't fun, you should turn back. I walked around a few corners and eventually arrived at a street I recognized. This was my opportunity to turn for home. However, I thought I'd just walk on a little more and then decide whether to proceed. I'm so glad I did! My monthly total of birds was 136, so I did not expect to see anything new for the month. However, I did! Inevitably, the first bird I saw when I arrived at the reserve was a Noisy Miner - a bird hardly likely to lift my spirits. Then there was an uncooperative White-browed Scrubwren and some hyperactive Grey Fantails. They always make me smile. The correas were in flower, and, much to my delight, playing amongst them were several Eastern Spinebills. I have been missing these beautiful birds from the streets of Kew. It is uplifting to know they are still around in the Burke Road Billabong Reserve. They were a new bird for my May list. And to think I might have turned back and missed them.
This beautiful photo was taken by Ken Haines. Very soon afterwards, I saw another new bird for my May list: an Australian Golden Whistler. This photo is also by Ken Haines.
I never get a particularly large bird count at Burke Road Billabong. I am usually only there for half an hour. Today I recorded 14 species. There were swamphens and moorhens on the golf course today, so that boosted my total. However, there was nothing on the river, but, just as I was about to leave, I saw the third new bird for me for May: a Crimson Rosella, another species that I have been missing from my daily walks. It is good to know that they, too, are still in Kew. I enjoyed my walk. And I was absolutely delighted to see spinebills and Crimson Rosellas, birds I have not seen here for many months.

No comments:

Post a Comment