Thursday 11 November 2021

A WEEK OF BIRDING

Today I had intended to go to the Maranoa Gardens, hoping for an Eastern Spinebill or perhaps a Grey Currawong.  But it is too wet.

I have had a busy week of birding until today.  On Monday I visited Wilson Reserve, on Tuesday I drove to Jells Park, on Wednesday I went to Trin-Warren Tam-Boore in Royal Park and yesterday I drove to Karkarook.

There's not much to see at Wilson Reserve that I can't see at Burke Road Billabong.  I walk to Burke Road Billabong, but Wilson Reserve, on the other side of the Yarra, is a little further, and I must drive.  I haven't seen the Powerful Owls there for a long time, and I've never seen any crakes, although others have reported them there.  I have seen frogmouths in the past, and an occasional Azure Kingfisher.  The two species I see reliably at Wilson Reserve (but not at Burke Road Billabong) are Willie Wagtails (my favourite bird) and Bell Miners.

Jell's Park

I go to Jell's Park to see Australasian Darters.  There are usually quite a few there.  On Tuesday I struggled to find one, but I did eventually.  I also found a pair of Pink-eared Ducks, which I haven't seen there before, and one very vocal Fan-tailed Cuckoo, which I admired at my leisure.  I'm not sure why, but several people stopped to ask me what I was looking at.  That one little cuckoo has never been the centre of so much attention!  I had a pleasant walk and clocked up 27 species in about an hour.

Wednesday was wet and I would have reconsidered my planned trip to Trin Warren Tam-Boore, except that I'd agreed to meet my sister-in-law, who lives nearby.  Despite the inclement weather, we managed 23 species, most notably a White-plumed Honeyeater, my first for the year.  Most numerous were Silver Gulls and Australian White Ibis.  My hoped-for Eastern Great Egret did not eventuate and I had to make do with a couple of swans.  I did see a Red-rumped Parrot, which I think are becoming rarer around Melbourne.

I don't know why, Karkarook always seems a long drive.  I'm sure it's no further than Jells Park, but with slow progress down Warrigal Road, it always seems a long trip.  I recorded 26 species in less than an hour, but could not see some very noisy, I might say clamorous, Australian Reed Warblers, which I spent some minutes trying to locate.  I've given up looking for Blue-billed Ducks (who am I kidding?  I always look!) which used to be reliable here.  And I fear that both Greenfinches and Goldfinches are no longer to be found at Karkarook.  I had great views of a very handsome pair of Hoary-headed Grebes and the best bird of the morning was one Little Grassbird that was determined to get onto my list and kept hopping out of the reeds into sight.

Eastern Spinebill, photo by Ken Haines


So I've had a good week of birding and I mustn't complain that I missed out on my trip to Maranoa Gardens.  I'll bet there were dozens of spinebills dancing in the rain and Grey Currawongs waiting for me in the carpark.  We will never know what I missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment