Thursday 14 October 2021

BANYULE

There was just one forecast sunny day this week and I decided not to waste it.  I planned to go to Banyule:  site 16 in The 100 Best Birdwatching Sites in Australia.  I'm pleased to report that my drive there was uneventful - unlike my previous visit when a rogue bus stopped in the middle of the access road, halting traffic in both directions.

As I locked my car, I played my usual game with myself.  How many species will I see today?  How many will be new for my year list?  How many new for the month?  After recent disappointments at the Melbourne General Cemetery and at Karkarook, I decided not to be too ambitious.  I'd try for a list of 30 species.  I'd hope for 3 new birds for the year and 6 for the month.  In a normal year, to find 3 new birds in October in a local park would be ambitious.  But 2021 is not a normal year.  I've done so little birding and seen so few birds that I reckoned 3 new birds for the year was eminently doable. 

My first stop at Banyule is usually the Grotty Pond.  I pause along the way to look at the lake.  I have had good sightings here.  I scanned the verges for snipe.  No luck.  There were some Australasian Grebes on the water, but I couldn't remember if I'd seen them in January on my one and only trip to Werribee this year.  There were also Chestnut Teal, Pacific Black Duck and coot.  I was delighted to see Red-rumped Parrots.  These birds seem to be getting rarer around this area.  Then I spied Eastern Cattle Egrets, two of them, sitting on posts in the water.  I certainly hadn't seen them before this year.  My first annual tick.


I hurried on to the Grotty Pond wondering what delights it had in store for me.  Would there be rail?  Would there be crakes?  Not crakes, but croaks drew my attention skywards and I looked up.  Three black cockies flew over, followed a minute later by three more.  Black cockies always raise my spirits, like a soaring eagle or a dainty fairywren.  They made me feel good.  However, there was nothing on the pond except a moorhen with one cute fluffy black chick, so I turned back to have a proper look at the lake.  I had recorded 21 species by the time I arrived.  My target of 30 was within reach.

I was missing New Holland Honeyeaters.  These were Roger's favourite bird and I'm always pleased to add them to my list, but I haven't seen one in quite a while.  They used to be common at Banyule, but not today.

I left the lake and walked towards the river.  The first bird I heard, then saw, was an Australian King Parrot, sitting high in the canopy.  I don't remember seeing them here before.  Then I spied a Spotted Pardalote.  We do have them in the suburban streets around Kew, but they are not common and can often be difficult to see.  Today I had excellent views.  They really are gorgeous birds.  I heard a Grey Shrikethrush, but, look as I might, I could not see it.  The same thing happened with orioles, but I did get a good look at Silvereyes, one of my all-time favourites.  They, too, are not as common as they used to be.  I haven't seen one in Kew since I moved back here six months ago.

I met a young birder who told me there were Sacred Kingfishers about.  Together we heard Fan-tailed Cuckoos, but, alas! I could not find one.  I walked on to where the Plenty River joins the Yarra.  The sun was shining, the birds were singing and Huey was in his heaven.

I easily excelled my target of 30 species:  in fact I recorded 40.  And I saw 11 eleven new birds for October.  But I dipped on 3 new species for the year.  The Eastern Cattle Egret was the only one.  If I'd seen the kingfisher and the cuckoo, I'd have made it.  Must try harder!

No comments:

Post a Comment