Saturday 29 June 2024

MALLACOOTA - BACK TO ITS BEST

When I compiled 'The Best 100 Birdwatching Sites in Australia,' I put Mallacoota in the top ten. Then came the devastating fires of 2019. When the second edition of 'The 100 Best Birdwatching Sites in Australia' was published, I felt obliged to downgrade Mallacoota to site number 30, and it remained there for the third edition. Site number 30 for the whole of Australia is still pretty impressive. I have just had a great few days enjoying the birds of Mallacoota, and I'm pleased to say that, should there ever be a fourth edition, Mallacoota will be restored to its rightful place in the top ten of Australia's birding sites. I saw 133 species in total on my trip - this includes driving to and from Melbourne and one night in Orbost on the way. Highlights were: Freckled Duck on Lake Guthridge in Sale, a paddock full of Glossy Ibis along the way, Australian Masked Owl at Cape Conran, and an unexpected Australasian Figbird at Paynesville on the way home. Of course Mallacoota reliably provided: Southern Emu-wren, Tawny-crowned Honeyeater, Hooded Plover (at Betka Beach), Satin Bowerbirds and both White-headed and Wonga Pigeons. I saw Superb Lyrebirds every day, and they lived up to their name. One beautiful male, in particular, shimmered his tail for me for quite a few seconds. I must also mention the superlative Grey Goshawk that flew overhead when I was on the beach looking for Sooty Oystercatchers. I saw Beautiful Firetails at the airport, but, to be greedy, I'd have liked a better look. The bird of the trip was a magnificent Spotted Quail-thrush on the Wangarabell Road who very kindly walked into my line of sight as I pointed my binoculars hopefully towards some moving grass.
Disappointments were: I did not see a Ground Parrot and I did not see a Greater Sooty Owl. But, let's face it, anyone who's seen a Masked Owl has no right to complain about the absence of sooties, right? At Shipwreck Creek I admired sea eagles and emu-wrens, but I could not convince a Ground Parrot to say hello. I was also disappointed to note that some remarkably clever person had seen fit to burn the toilet down. I do hope that person is caught short in very embarrassing circumstances. I also dipped on Glossy Black Cockatoos and Scarlet Myzomelas. Again, I should not complain. The Victorian population of Glossy Blacks is now a fighteningly low 30-40 birds, and Scarlet Myzomelas don't really have to put in an appearance until summer according to their contract. Having enjoyed my first ever Western Shriketits in Western Australia earlier this year, I was very pleased to admire Eastern Shriketits at Gipsy Point. I don't seem to see these lovely birds in Melbourne as often as I used to. The Eastern Whipbirds were vocal and evident at Gipsy Point too, always a great addition to the birdlist.
Of course I had a wishlist when I set off from home. It had a very ambitious 43 species on it, all birds I haven't seen yet this year. I came home with 21 new birds for the year, but five of those were so unexpected they weren't even on my wishlist. As well as the beautiful birds, and the kangaroos and wallabies, I always admire Australian Swamp Rats in Mallacoota. I confess I don't get excited when I see Humpback Whales, but I do catch my breath for Sugar Gliders and Agile Antechinus. There was also a colony of Grey-headed Flying Foxes present as I admired the Freckled Duck at Lake Guthridge. Mallacoota, you never disappoint! I hope there is a fourth edition of my book and I can reinstate you to your proper place in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment